Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Guatemalan Wedding

Anyone truly seeking to experience another's culture and traditions I feel would fall short of this goal without jumping feet first into a local wedding. Sometimes few and far between, the elusive "Local Wedding" is one of the trickier items to cross off that well-thought out Cultural To-Do List, probably somewhere between "Kill & prepare your own dinner (using only your bare hands)" and "Become someone's Godfather (term defined loosely)."

Fortunately, on the day before my departure, December 21, my good friend and roommate in Antigua was wed to his Guatemalan fiancé and I got my chance to partake in a Guatemalan wedding fiesta. Ok, so those of you keeping score at home might dock me points on the technicality that this was a US-Guatemalan fusion wedding, but for the record, the nuptials took place in Guatemala and the guest list was > 93% Guatemalan. Let's call it square.

For this blessed event, those of us who were in town and able to attend took to the Municipality building in downtown Guatemala City for a humble ceremony; however, not before a quick stop at a friend's home for brunch, mimosas, and photos. Carla and her family treated us to a delicious spread of fruits, foods, and *most importantly* champagne.

Groom Eric popping bottles

Thanks to Kat, our resident Eagle Scout (above photo, right), we were well-prepared for everything; be it a poorly stitched button on Eric's jacket or a travel sized toothbrush for a last second brush up. So, while Kat certainly contributed more overall with handy trinkets, I chalk up a small victory for myself for being the emotional support and pillar for Eric on this very special day in his life. 

At the Municipality we ushered Eric into the meeting room, only stopping for brief niceties with the bride's family, so as not to break tradition by spotting his wife-to-be before the service. The official conducted the service in Spanish and before launching into the final union of Eric and his bride, Albita, he orated eloquently on what marriage means to him, his family, to the future couple before him, and to all of us as a whole. He offered his words of wisdom and made sure Eric, Albita, and all of us understood the magnitude and sanctity of this very moment we were all experiencing. With the official words spoken and the proper signatures in place, Eric and Albita became one to rowdy applause, hearty hugs, and embraces from friends and family.



The celebration was then taken closer to the bride's hometown in the department of Escuintla where her family had arranged a beautiful reception for all to gather and celebrate the union of Eric and Albita. An hacienda was rented complete with tents for dinning, a buffet, and a dance floor, which I think was well beyond Eric and Albita's expectations as they had previously discussed plans to me for a "simple ceremony with perhaps a lunch afterwards for all to gather." 

During this reception family and friends gathered, shared words of thanks, enjoyed a delicious traditional dinner, and of course danced. Surprisingly, the celebration was not much different from what we traditionally find at a wedding in the States, except of course the choice of fare was local. However more generally, the traditional wedding staples were present: lots of food, drinks, dancing, music, and most importantly love & happiness all around.

Glad to see the cake fight tradition live on

As I look back on my last day in Guatemala I could not have planned it any better. I was able to spend my last moments with many of those who had been at my side for the duration of 2011 in Guatemala, which was an important year for me full of personal growth. During my final day I didn't think - even for a minute - about my departure from this land that had so quickly become my new home, but rather focused on the happiness of the wedding, which was far more important that day.

Congrats to Eric & Albita! You are going to do amazing things together, I wish I could come along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment