Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Music Mania

I hate to jump into the cliché cab (did I just make that phrase up?) with all those that list "The Top ______ of 2011," but given the strong presence of music in my life, I want to highlight some of the best music from 2011.

In no particular order, the Top Music in my life from 2011....

Artist: Collapse Under The Empire, Album: Shoulders & Giants. Song to sample: "Incident"
One of the best bands you've never heard of. Soothing instrumental music, but with flashes of heavy guitars aplenty and no shortage of peppy electronic beats. Truly must give these guys a chance, I don't think you will regret it.


- Artist: The Weeknd, Album: House of Balloons. Song to sample: "High For This"
This smooth cat is all over the pop/R&B/Hip-Hop scene after making a cameo on Drake's newest album, Take Care. Brimming with talent, young, and (dare I say) has a voice like the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. He even does a cover of one of my favorite MJ songs, Dirty Diana (although on a different album).


Artist: Drake, Album: Take Care. Song to sample: "Make Me Proud"
The always-dreaded sophomore album is a true test for all artists, but Drake proves himself on this second effort by not only meeting expectations, but blowing right past them. I thought the first album was great, but then I heard this one. Awesome.

  
Artist: Radiohead, Album: The King of Limbs. Song to sample: "Codex"
Admittedly not at the top of my favorite Radiohead albums, but this disc does not disappoint. Radiohead has continued to evolve on each and every record, which is part of what makes them great, so true fans will be more understanding of the new direction they have taken on this album. They stick with certain elements that have gotten them to where they are, yet manage to completely re-invent themselves at the same time. Genius. 


Artist: Bon Iver, Album: Bon Iver. Song to sample: "Perth"
Folky, soft, acoustic, soulful, and yet hip enough to collaborate with Kanye West, Bon Iver has made quite a name for himself in 2011. Opening track (Perth) is absolutely beautiful and I recommend catching this live version with big band accompaniments.


Artist: Mogwai, Album: Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will. Song to sample: "Letters To The Metro"
One of my all-time favorite bands, Mogwai is back with another journey through ambient space and profound feelings. I've always loved that Mogwai sticks to what they're good at, but with over 10 years in the game it's becoming harder to be impressed by the same formulas and serene landscapes that they paint. That certainly doesn't make this effort any less beautiful, but it's hard to live up to the classics they have put out year after year. A great mix of  songs slow, fast, loud, soft, uplifting, and down, this album really showcases all that they have in their repertoire. 


As I often find myself chugging away in front of a computer in the office each workday, I relish those suggestions by others for new music to look in to. I'd really love to hear feedback from those of you who tried out my recommendations and I looks forward to hearing some from you.

Happy listening into 2012, amigos.

1 comment:

  1. the best song that didn't make Radiohead's King of Limbs is 'The Daily Mail' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McuHVXgR8dA). Really nice piano roll and an excellent horn section at the finish.

    ReplyDelete