Monday, September 5, 2011

The Savior

This past weekend I caught a bus to San Salvador, El Salvador. Not being the first time I've done so during my tenure here in Guatemala, I'm now quite comfortable with the route and ins & outs on how to best manage this ~5 hour trip between capital cities.

For those looking to make a similar journey, TicaBus offers a decent service for the cheapest price ($20) although you can expect the bus to a) depart 20 minutes late, b) spend a frustrating amount of extra time at the border, c) be stopped unexpectedly by police once in El Salvador for a routine passenger check, and d) ultimately arrive at your destination roughly an hour later than expected.

In addition to the nuances of the bus travel, picking up the finer points on how to handle the coyotes at the border hawking all sorts of foreign currency, knowing where to get the cheapest pupusas at the border ($1), and managing communications/pick-up plans with friends across the border via cell phone before service cuts out in your destination country, are all things I feel I've come to master through painful trial & error.

As such, I'd recommend: 1) spending the extra $5 for a more punctual bus line even though TicaBus is decent (Sol or King Quality are good options), 2) calling friends before reaching the border to let them know your updated ETA, so you're not stranded without a ride in an unknown land without cell phone service, 3) avoid changing too much currency at an exchange rate you're skeptical of (exchanging currency beforehand in a bank and bringing with you if possible).

Anyhow, coming to Salvador is always a welcomed mini-vacation for me. While on the surface it does not differ drastically from Guatemala, there is something I enjoy more about being there than in Guatemala. Perhaps it's the feeling of someplace new, the feeling of "getting away" for a couple days from my regular routine, that tricks me into believing Salvador is just a little sweeter.

El Salvador: Lord, may I lack everything but you

While there is still plenty left for me to explore in both Guatemala City and San Salvador, I give the edge to San Salvador. It is generally cleaner, safer, and aesthetically more pleasing to the eye than what I have found in Guatemala City. And while the beaches are a far cry from the picturesque paradises one will find in Mexico or the Caribbean, El Salvador has a nice beach town, La Libertad. Here you'll find El Tunco beach with its black sand and stretch of bars and restaurants lining the coast.

  El Tunco beach


This weekend I made 2 new friends as I was introduced to a Costa Rican couple living in an upscale neighborhood in the hills sitting above El Tunco beach in La Libertad. The nicest house I have been to in a long while, it truly was impressive walking into their breezy two story home. Patio doors slide wide open leading to a hillside deck that then dips a few steps into a quaint swimming pool that appears to just spill off the edge down the hillside. Inside a nice foosball table and air conditioning beckon you to pass the evening inside while catching glimpses of the sunset and waves crashing below at the beach. I couldn't help but feel like I was taking part in a tourism commercial drawing waves of tourists to the beaches of El Salvador for their next vacation. It felt that perfect.

Ola Betos oceanside restaurant, La Libertad

With a little American culture peppered into my visit, the weekend's events were the perfect recipe for a delicious weekend away. The opening weekend for NCAA College Football made its debut in sports bars around San Salvador including Buffalo Wings (not to be confused with Buffalo Wild Wings) where we dined on cheeseburgers, Coca-Cola, and buffalo wings (America!). Topping the whole trip off with a visit to the local bowling alley for some glow-bowling, I couldn't help but feel complete despite rolling an average game. I'll definitely be back soon to work on my 10-pin form. 

Coincidence El Salvador's lanes is similar to my hometown alley, Galaxy Lanes?

No comments:

Post a Comment