Saturday, January 29, 2011

McDonald's

Chatting briefly with some friends at home or with new tourists that I meet in Guatemala, it often comes out that I recently had a meal at Taco Bell or McDonald's. While I am a fan of fast food, it was not a regular part of my diet back home in America, however for some strange reason I find myself frequenting these fast food chains more often than I should while here in Guate. Just as surprised, my friends ask why on earth I would go to McDonald's when there must certainly be such better local fare. True, but allow me to shed some light on McDonald's here in Guatemala.




McDonald's here has a McMenu del Dia, which is pre-selected value meal for each day (Monday-Friday) for a whopping 25 Quetzales ($3.15). I don't know what they're doing back in that kitchen, but it's something special. The food quality is just a little better than what you get back at home. Yes, I said better. For as many things here in Guatemala that are behind the times, their McD's is on point. For those of you who have ever had a Coca-Cola in Latin America or abroad you may know what I mean - they use real sugar which gives it that extra deliciousness. It's that same extra oomph that accompanies their McD's here and that keeps me coming back for more.

 If the price isn't enough to draw you in then allow me to elaborate on the service. Working at McDonald's here appears to be a much sought after job - a job that many would be fortunate to have. The people seem to be that much happier to be working at such a fine, well-known establishment. They are exactly what you see in the McDonald's commercials, which is not always what you get at your local McD's in the States. They can't stop smiling, there is a team of roughly 3 people taking care of each customer, and before you can even pay for your meal the tray is complete with your order. And to boot, you may be lucky enough to visit the extra classy McD's where an employee's sole job is to ask if you'd like ketchup and fill up your paper thimble-sized cup with that ketchup-y, red golden deliciousness.

(Fountain isn't running, but isn't this the classiest McD's you've ever seen?) 

I have also began playing a little game with the staff at McD's each time I visit (unbeknownst to them of course). Each time you make a move to the trash to clear your own tray, someone manages to dart out from around a corner to relive you of your table busing duties. It's incredible, it really is. This is one of those cultural differences I've learned while here. Whereas we're taught to bus our own trash, Guatemalan's feel it's your responsibility to leave your trash where it is so that an employee can clean up after you. In all my 5  or 6 visits to McD's I have yet to beat an employee to the trash can with tray in hand. One of these days I'll succeed on throwing away my own trash for myself....

(Ron & I)

1 comment:

  1. Does the Guatemalan McD serve breakfast? They didn't in Nica, much to my chagrin.

    ReplyDelete